Learn about the art of Balinese cooking in quiet Lovina, North Bali. Here in our clean kitchen you will find classes that teach you the secrets of real Balinese food, in a pleasant and relaxing environment. You will create a range of traditional Balinese culinary delights and gain insights into Balinese culture. And in the end, you will eat the food you prepared yourself!
People with many years of experience with Bali cuisine will teach you. We are pleased to offer the following classes:
These courses have a minimum of two students. For those with special interests, we offer:
- Create your Own Cooking Class
All classes include a trip to the local market and free transport in the Lovina area.
If you need any further information, please contact us.
This is a good opportunity for beginners in Indonesian cuisine. And for experienced cooks as well, because in every region in Bali the recipes are different – so try ours! In our restaurant you will learn about the Balinese way of cooking, in a basic kitchen. You will be astonished at how easy it is to "conjure" traditional food, if you know the secrets of the Balinese cuisine.
We start with a well-known appetizer - Spring Rolls Vegetarian. In the class, you will learn all the dishes from the first step of their preparation to the last. How to prepare the pastes, the fillings, sauces and of course the ingredients of our tasty "bumbus" - the mixture of the traditional spices. Our Chicken Curry is cooked, like all our food, in the traditional way. Smell the indescribable aroma, when you grind Ginger, Candlenut, Laos, Turmeric and other spices together in the mortar.
Your menu in the Basic Course:
- Lumpia Sayur - Spring Rolls Vegetarian
- Kare Ayam - Chicken Curry
- Sate Babi - Pork Sate
- Sambal pelecing
- Sambal kacang - Peanut-Sauce
- Pelecing Kangkung - Water spinach
- Mie Goreng Sayur - Fried Noodles Vegetarian
- Nasi Goreng Ikan - Fried Rice Seafood
- Nasi putih - White rice
This class shows you more secrets of Balinese Cooking, but it is not more difficult than other courses and suitable for beginners, too.
We offer this special class, because we think the Balinese kitchen is so rich in interesting dishes, that one day is just not enough ...
Your menu in the Advanced Cooking Class:
- Sate Ikan Katik Sre - Sate with lemongrass, fish and Coconut-paste
- Ayam Ketumbar - Chicken with coriander
- Babi Sre - Lemon Pork Balinese style
- Pelcing Paku - Fern with Balinese sauce
- Tempe manis - Soybean cake
- Telor tingkeh - Eggs with Candlenut-sauce
- Tim Tuna - Tuna fish with spicy coconut milk
- Cap cay - Indonesian-Chinese vegetable
- Nasi putih dan kuning - White and yellow rice
The Balinese and Indonesian kitchen is perfect for Vegetarians. Thanks to the use of the traditional mixture of many aromatic spices, it will enrich your way of cooking. And the tropics offer you a diverse assortment of vegetables, fruits and sprouts for your menu. But we promise - meat-eaters will not be bored as well!
In Balinese kitchen, like in other Asian countries, we use the healthy soybean:
- Tofu (soybean curd) is a bland, cheese-like cake formed from soy milk by adding a coagulant to the milk to form curds that are then shaped and pressed into cakes. Tofu is rich in minerals and is an excellent source of high-quality protein, polyunsaturated fats, B vitamins and iron.
- Tempe is made of whole, cooked soybeans infused with a culture to form a dense, chewy cake. It is a good source of fiber protein, polyunsaturated fats and lecithin, as well as calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and some B vitamins.
- Soybean sprouts are rich in vitamins A, B, C.
- Soy sauce, the most widely recognized of soybean foods, is fermented from a mixture of whole soybeans, wheat flour and fermenting agents, such as yeast.
Your menu for the Cooking Class Vegetarian
- Gado-Gado - Mixed vegetables with peanut-sauce
- Uraban - vegetables with Balinese spices and rubbed coconut
- Kare Pusuh - Banana-flower-Curry
- Kace kebo - Fried beans with garlic
- Bergedel Kentang dan Jagung - Potato and Corn-cookies
- Tahu Isi - Tofu with vegetable filling
- Tempe Goreng - Fried Tempe
- Lontong - Rice cooked in banana-leaf
- Nasi putih - White rice
To complete your knowledge in Balinese food and because it is soooo tasty – Balinese sweets!
We believe, the big variety of Balinese sweets deserve more attention. The combination of palm sugar and coconut - the embodiment of a tropical dessert! And for sure you will be astonished by learning preparing the sweets.
Your menu in the Sweet Cooking Class
- Dadar - Balinese Pancake with palm-sugar and coconut-filling
- Lak-Lak - Rice flour cake
- Sumping Waluh - Pumpkin and rice flour wrapped in banana-leaf
- Bubur ketan hitam - Black Rice Pudding
- Batu Duren - made from sticky rice
- Es Kolak - fruits and sea weed in palm sugar sauce
- and / or others
These desserts are really hard to translate, but be sure that some of them are very easy to cook in your country as well. Some are not, but they are all totally interesting and tasty. Some of the ingredients used are palm sugar, black rice, rice-flour and coconut. Learn about the “packaging” of Balinese desserts as well, for example in banana-leaves.